Front Page About Me Galleries Weblog Sundries Guestbook Links
Pictures From "Olga Maersk"
<< Turn back a page Turn to next page >>
(click picture for enlargement)
One of the massive gantry cranes which load and unload containers on the ships.
Having barely moored, unloading commenced on the aft part of the ship.
Luckily I found time to go ashore in Miami all three times I was there. This is from downtown Miami.
Rough weather in the North Atlantic on our way to Europe.
Our Raytheon radar equipment (left) and ECDIS, electronic chart system.
The instrument panel on the bridge, with the wheel in the middle. Looks more like an airplane wheel now adays.
The paper charts, which are still mandatory on all ships.
After Europe, we headed back across the Atlantic to Newark, New Jersey, and since we had an entire day there, my class mate Katrine and I went to Manhattan, where I hadn't been since my Dad took me in 1989. Great experience!
A view from the top of the Empire State Building.
Looking south.
Looking north.
The Rockefeller Center.
Saint Patrick's Cathedral.
Hey, what do you know, I ran into some celebrities. Well, at least wax copies, at Madame Tussaud's at Times Square. From left it's Shakira, Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt.
Even Morgan Freeman could be found.
Ground Zero on south Manhattan, the place of the terrible World Trade Center terrorist attacks September 11 2001. My deepest and respectful sympathy and heart felt sorrow for the victims of the attack and the families and friends left behind.
Back in the Panama Canal, this time on our way south from Manzanillo to Balboa and San Antonio, Chile.
Passing other ships at close range in the inland lakes.
In port in San Antonio, I went for a trip in the Man Over Board boat along with the Captain and able seaman Rainer.
The huge rudder, giving the ship remarkable steering capabilities. The rudder itself weighs around 15 tons and the rudder shaft weighs another 50 tons!
The 7.7 meter wide and 57 tonnes heavy propeller visible just under the water.
AB Rainer doing a little maintenance and painting of the draft marks.
Luckily we had the entire night in San Antonio, as we had 24 hours in the port. I went ashore with several other crew members, and here are some of us on a pub in San Antonio (me to the right).
(Not my picture)
Our wind anemometer was out of order, so I crawled into the fore mast to inspect it. Of course I brought my camera...
<< Turn back a page Turn to next page >>